Every year, my friends and I get together to watch the Super Bowl. I’m apparently the only person in the world who doesn’t watch football, but I go along for the betting, friends and food (in that order). My friends will bet on anything and everything (including NBC’s The Voice) and the prop pool has become and annual staple. It was my first year picking and I came out with a respectable 3rd place – not to shabby if you ask me. Special thanks to Kelly Clarkson for keeping it under 1:34.
Since I couldn’t offer much support in terms of football knowledge and enthusiasm, I figured I’d make it up by bringing food to the event. On the menu: 3 layer jello shots (with and without alcohol), football shaped pizza and poutine pizza.
But of course, all these paled in comparison to Scott’s Prophet Cookie. Every year it’s a big unveiling as the cookie predicts who will win the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, the cookie faced its first defeat and the record stands at 2-1. Nonetheless it didn’t fail in its presentation.
Gronkowski spiking the ball anyone?
Another year has passed, some of my friends are happy, others lost some money and I now know what a helmet catch looks like. Until next year…
I’m 27 and I was just told by my doctor to lay off fatty foods for the foreseeable future. Apparently I’m actually an old lady. Nerts!!! Since I need to curb my habits, I figured I’d give a fond (temporary) farewell to my favourite fatty indulgences.
1. My dear Coffee. You wake me up, you keep me warm… it’s not you, but the cream and sugar I add to you that makes you all the more velvety and smooth. We had a good run together, and while it’s not quite the same, I hope you play nicely with our new friends skim and soy milk. They’re not as cool or delicious and the thought of using them makes me die a little inside, but hopefully we can make it work.
2. Cheeseburger… what can I say? You might be my guiltiest pleasure of all, but can you blame me? Forget the ketchup and hold the pickle. You have always been the best au natural.
3. Guacamole… No one believed me when I said that “good fat” is still okay… apparently I was mistaken. But I have to wonder how can something so good be so wrong?
4. All things deep fried. Chicken wings, french fries, onion rings, twinkles?! A world of possibility has temporarily been closed, and I can’t help but wonder what I’m going to miss. Hopefully ignorance is bliss.
5. Butter. This one hurts the most. I’ll just say that I’ll miss you most of all.
In the end, it is for the best as it’ll hopefully save me from some complications. However, I can’t help but feel like I’ve lost a dear friend today…. until we meet again.
Welcome to my new blog!
As my brother and I constantly say… “But what does it all mean, Basil”? “Dim Sum” pretty much means “point of the heart” or “touch the heart”. Here you’ll find my random musings and thoughts on the various things that “touch” me and shape who I am. Enjoy!